Wednesday, May 20, 2009

TIC, TOC, TIC, TOC . . .

The clock talked loud. I threw it away, it scared me what it talked. ~Tillie Olsen, Tell Me a Riddle


The more i think I have a handle on time and am getting everything completed on said time, the more time seems to want to smack me upside the head and scream "SIKE! GOTCHA!" Yesterday was my first serious attempt at packing. I've learned that no matter how you try, you absolutely can't fit 2 years of life into 1 duffel bag, 1 hiking back-pack and 2 carry-ons and whoever told you differently told a dirty, mean lie. I started ranking the heavier stuff on importance.
During those slow, indoor, 6 months of -15 degree weather,what's the difference in necessity between a portable dvd player that uses a usb or can work with my external, 400 gb hard-drive to watch hundreds of movies VS my thick, thick, black, down jacket??. Hard drive wins. NEXT! Flannel bed sheets VS English/Armenian dictionary . . . that's how i moved through.Until my wonderful mother saw my packing technique. Though she had only been a few hours of her flight from Australia,and complete with jet-lag my mom completely revamped my packing style. I'm not really sure how it happened but i now have at least 1 and a half years in that duffel bag, black jacket and DVD player included.

Continuing with the subject of time,I should say that I am happy to be committing myself to doing PEACE CORPS. The timing itself though was a little off and is seriously taking a toll on the stories I will have to tell my grandkids. I am missing 3 important weddings of some very important people in my life . I want these people to know that I love you all very much and wish I could be there physically ( and through photoshop that may be possible *wink wink* mansfie :). I wish you all well and your fairytale has only just begun.

Another issue that time has not been helping with is my Armenian language education. 30 plus letters in their alphabet and they all look similar. Why? Luckily enough though, the other PCV's ( Peace Corps Volunteers) who are in country have all said not to stress about the language. So for now that's taking a backseat. I am going to land in country proud of the th
ree things i can say: Im annun Danya - my name is Danya, Barev - hello, shnorakaletyun - thank you. I plan an saying these three over and over to whatever is said to me , followed by a smile and a head nod. When in doubt feign understanding. That's it for now, I must go buy some seasonings and brown sugar to pack, apparently you cannot get brown sugar in Armenia. . .odd.