Saturday, June 27, 2009

I hope my new neighbours play nice...

Originally I had another blog post written and ready for shipment.However, other events have since moved to the head of the priority posting line. Wednesday, was a big day for me. Why? I found out where my permanent site for the next two years will be. I should probably preface this by saying Peace Corps does not put a volunteer anywhere they may be in danger. That said, my new home for the next two years will be in the Syunik Marz but more importantly, I am a stones throw from the Iranian border. I am the southernmost volunteer as well as the first and only volunteer in my village. Not only will it be new for me but for them also. I am glad that Peace Corps has so much confidence in me that they thought I would be a good fit there. I am one and a half hours from the nearest volunteer and 4 mountain ranges and 4 hours from the next volunteer after that. The village itself is made up primarily of refugees from the Karabak war and most have been settled there for years. Since most speak Russian I will be able to have some1 tutor me which is a plus. Ben has also said he will teach me basic German so that should be fun too. A more intelligent person once said if you want to truly understand a people you have to speak their language and so I am learning.

Armenian's have had such a difficult life between their history with the Ottoman empire, the Turks and the fall of their protectors ( the soviet). Most people here reminisce on those days with a forlorn, distant look in their eyes,a mixture of longing for the soviet control, resentment for genocide and hate for their stolen lands. Every Hay (Armenian) has morose and dark story they can tell you, but you'd never know from that self determined, piercing glare inherent to all Hay.

Other than that language classes are great, I can use the past and future tense now so yesterday's and tomorrows are part of my life again. Every now and then we have a funny story as a result of one of us butchering the language , for instance one of us has been calling the village kids peaches. Lol what this person was actually trying to say was the kid was nice. Someone else too has been calling the weather delicious. Usually the blank stares or the uncontrollable guffaws clue us in on our gaffe. The only thing to do is laugh at yourself in the moment then ask your teacher the next day where you took a left instead of a right turn.


Love Danya.