Once upon a short time ago the happiest peace corps volunteer lived in the tiniest village hidden among the mountains, bordering desert iran. If I wrote a story about my permanent site that would be my intro.
I am writing this during my 8 hour journey back from my permanent site. It keeps my stomach steady while my driver plays connect-the-dots with the craters in the streets and does loop-dee-loops on these mountains. It helps me to think too that the ride is only a little longer than the drive fran San Francisco to L.A. It would be shorter but we have already stopped a few times. Twice to eat and once because the taxi driver had a personal errand lol
My permanent site is a little paradise set in the middle of nowhere, and yes, next to Iran. there's a river nearby and every few feet you walk there's a fruit tree. The past four days I gorged myself on apricots,berries (red,rasp,black ,you name it). We have grapes ,kiwi,pomegranate and mulberries which I helped pick! Also there are peaches pears,apples and watermelon. I didn't think anyone would believe me so I took pictures to prove it!!
My little oasis is completely surrounded by mountains which will make for excellent hiking and rock climbing, I'm certain boredom will never be in my vocabulary. The second day I was there one of the village kids came to my house to meet me and take to a little pic-nic she and some other kids laid out for me in the middle of the street. I would be lying if I said I didn't almost tear-up. After we were done eating and their questions waned, I got a tour of their village, my village now. They identified every neighbour , friend and grandparent they thought I should know. The real tear jerker came when I realised word got around that I was out and about and every few houses I passed someone came out to give me a rose from their garden or just to say hi :)
They even took me to their neighbourhood bakery which is mostly just the downstairs portion of someone's house. I watched them make lavash and was given some to take home. I'm excited about my placement and I can't wait to start, mostly because everyone here seems so excited and willing to learn and happy for my help. One of the older kids repeatedly told me how ecstatic they were to have me because they had been waiting so long...(Oh God, don't let me dissappopint them...no pressure right :s)
The family I will stay with is magnificent. A plus for me since I have to live with them for 4 months before peace corps allows me to get my own house. (P.S. House b/c no appartments in village). The mother who is an azeri refugee speaks fluent russian and plays the piano so I won't need tutors for either yay! We have already struck a bargain where I will speak english with her( b/c she wants to learn) and Armenian with her husband and son while we work on Russian. Additionally, at the school where I'll teach ( my primary assignment) there is a volleyball court !! Byahhh !! And the director has already stated that he wants me to train the players so we can win all the competitions!! Wait it gets better ... The winters are not too bad (maybe -5) and they're shorter than the rest of Armenia because we r so far south. What else can I ask for?? There may be an angel I need to thank out there. I'm certain...
The third day I was there we drove along the Iranian border. At the time I wasn't sure if I was allowed to be there,but I am ...(I think) I would have taken pictures but it's not allowed. There is one point where I got a little nervous where we came to a checkpoint with some soldiers who may or may not have been russian b/c they usually guard the borders. I heard my host dad ask them if it was ok for me to pass and after staring at me 4 a good 5 minutes they let us go. Like I said , I wasn't sure if I should be there. Anywho I pulled my camera out from under the seat where I chucked it just in case and we kept it moving. From the beginning of next week I will have zero time for my life.Model school starts and goes from 1-5 every afternoon (monday to saturday) but I still also have language classes every morning from 9-12. We also have to finish our community projects and still keep up with all our other h-w and technical. It's alrigt though because next week is also 'Vardavar' water day. It's a religious holiday that stems from a time when people worshipped a pagan gd named asterisk. For this celebration water is a symbol of purity and cleansing.they say the more you get soaked the better your life will be. It' almost like a nationwide waterfight. I can't wait!! Some of the girls,cousins etc that I am getting close to said they will come celebrate with me. Hahaha they don't even know what's coming ( I have water balloons!! :o))
Well that's all for now. Hopefully I'll be able to post again soon :)
Love Danya